Sunday, January 23, 2011

Welcome to my Blog!

I wasn't sure if I should call my blog "Chew the Fat" or "Trim the Fat. I've opted for the latter for the moment. The raison d'etre of the blog is to foster discussions with you about what works and what doesn't when it comes to losing weight, keeping the weight off and generally staying healthy. Like many men, my problems are with belly fat. As the old joke goes, "My doctor told me to watch my weight so I keep it out front so I can see it!"

Sometimes we have good intentions but don't track everything. I watched a program a while back about severely obese people. One fellow in the US though he was eating about 3,000 calories a day. Turned out, it was more like 30,000! No wonder he weighed over 600 pounds!

So, portion control is a key factor. A kitchen scale helps you to measure portions. We often eat larger amounts than we think we do. A portion of meat no larger than your closed fist is a rule of thumb I've heard many times...and no, you cannot be holding a baseball when you measure the closed fist! Hey...most of us can stand to lose a few pounds, kilos or stone depending where you are, right? A plan is a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment